Pencil Tip Publishing was established in 2015. We are a small, independent publisher based in the Vancouver, Canada. Our books focus on genre & cult television, original fiction, and short story collections.
Our first book – The Temporal Logbook – was published in June 2015.
Several of our books have been vehicles to raise funds for various charitable causes such AIDS support, cancer research and mood disorders.
Our Mission: to publish entertaining, informative and quality books pertaining to cult & genre television, short story collections, and original fiction – books that we would want to read.
The Editing Assistant will be responsible in providing editing assistance to main editing team, proofreading manuscripts and readying them for future publication.
Duties will include:
- Works closely with the Pencil Tip editing team.
- Proofread and evaluate manuscripts to detect and mark for correction any grammatical, typographical, or compositional errors; recommend or make changes in style, content or organization.
- Use comment mark-up and track changes in MS Word.
- Assess the suitability of the text for its intended readership.
- Ensure consistency, compliance, and adherence to standards and guidelines.
- Resolve queries around areas such as style and text inconsistencies.
- Checks proofs against approved copy, marking errors that appear.
- Participate in Editorial Board chats.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Previous editing experience preferably in editing fiction.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Possess a good command of the English language; speaks and writes English fluently.
- Excellent organizational and time-management.
- Works well in a deadline driven, multi-project, team environment.
- The candidate should be imaginative, enthusiastic, open to new ideas, resourceful.
- Must be able to meet and adhere to deadlines.
- Be able to work well with others – team player.
- Be able to take direction from others.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (especially Word and Outlook).
- Familiar with using Dropbox file sharing.
- Familiar with using Skype chat.
Application Deadline: May 31, 2019
Please note that this is a volunteer position.
To apply to this position please reply to firstname.lastname@example.org and include the subject header “Editorial Assistant”. Please include a copy of your resume along with a cover letter explaining why you feel you would be an ideal candidate for the post.