EDITING ASSISTANT (VOLUNTEER)
The Editing Assistant will be responsible in providing editing assistance to main editing team, proofreading manuscripts and readying them for future publication.
Duties will include:
- Works closely with the Pencil Tip editing team.
- Proofread and evaluate manuscripts to detect and mark for correction any grammatical, typographical, or compositional errors; recommend or make changes in style, content or organization.
- Use comment mark-up and track changes in MS Word.
- Assess the suitability of the text for its intended readership.
- Ensure consistency, compliance, and adherence to standards and guidelines.
- Resolve queries around areas such as style and text inconsistencies.
- Checks proofs against approved copy, marking errors that appear.
- Participate in Editorial Board chats.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Previous editing experience preferably in editing fiction.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Possess a good command of the English language; speaks and writes English fluently.
- Excellent organizational and time-management.
- Works well in a deadline driven, multi-project, team environment.
- The candidate should be imaginative, enthusiastic, open to new ideas, resourceful.
- Must be able to meet and adhere to deadlines.
- Be able to work well with others – team player.
- Be able to take direction from others.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (especially Word and Outlook).
- Familiar with using Dropbox file sharing.
- Familiar with using Skype chat.
Application Deadline: September 2, 2019
Please note that this is a volunteer position.
About Pencil Tip Publishing
Pencil Tip Publishing was established in 2015. We are a small, independent publisher based in Vancouver, Canada. Our books focus on genre & cult television, original fiction, and short story collections.
Our first book – The Temporal Logbook – was published in June 2015.
Several of our books have been vehicles to raise funds for various charitable causes such AIDS support, cancer research and mood disorders.
Our Mission: to publish entertaining, informative and quality books pertaining to cult & genre television, short story collections, and original fiction – books that we would want to read.
To apply to this position please reply to firstname.lastname@example.org and include the subject header “Editing Assistant”. Please include a copy of your resume along with a cover letter explaining why you feel you would be an ideal candidate for the post.